To give you a kick-start, here are my favourite Top 10 Tips to Healthy Eating. I found it helpful to start slowly - perhaps one tip per month - and build up from there. Some tips, like 2 and 3 - work hand in hand and will take longer to to get used to.
Don’t rush it, take your time and build steadily. Permanent change takes time – it’s a marathon, not a sprint. It won’t be long until these Healthy Eating Tips become second nature.
There's a bit to think about here, so lets break it up a bit ....
1. Buy the best quality ingredients you can afford - organic if possible. Quality ingredients shine through and the simplest dishes are a pleasure to share and easy to prepare.
2. Be aware of what you are putting into your body. What ingredients are included? Does it benefit and contribute to your well being? If the answer is 'no'- swap it for something that does.
3. Eliminate refined sugars and processed foods from your diet and cupboards. Your body - and budget - will thank you!
4. Eat ‘mindfully’. Avoid multi
tasking when you eat. Concentrate
on your food – chew slowly. Taste
it, enjoy it and recognize the effort involved in bringing it to your table. Notice how much more satisfied you feel
compared to unconsciously shoving something in your mouth while watching TV or surfing the net!
5. Eat only until you’re no longer hungry, not until you’re full. Once the habit of needing to feel full has been broken, this is a lot more comfortable.
Half way there! Ready? Let's continue .......
6. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – don’t skip it! A good breakfast will get our metabolism going and give us the energy we need to make the most of our day.
7. Eat like a King for breakfast; a Prince for lunch; and a Pauper for dinner. This doesn’t mean skip dinner – just keep the portion sizes small.
8. Eat at regular times each day. 7 - 9am for breakfast; 12 noon - 2pm for lunch and 5 - 7pm for dinner. Avoid eating after 7pm when you can.
9. Variety is the spice of life. Vary the food you eat, try different grains and proteins. Eat fresh fruit and vegetables in season.
10. Finally, the number 10 Tip for Healthy Eating ……. Everything in moderation. Even these 10 Tips! When you do go out for a meal - enjoy it, totally guilt-free!
our busy lives it is not practical to follow these tips 100% of the time – but
we can certainly aim for it and improve over time. Perfection
is in the imperfection.
You may find it helpful to print these 10 Tips to Healthy Eating and put it on your fridge as a reminder! :)
Happy Healthy Eating!
Tell us about it! We would love to hear what's working for you or your own favourite tip we may have missed!