Adopting Healthy Eating habits can curb our tendency to eat:
Sometimes we eat to satisfy other cravings - often emotional. For example when we are bored or upset. Putting something in our mouth becomes a crutch, a habit - regardless of whether it is greasy takeaway, chocolate, coffee, cake/biscuits, lollies/candy, alcohol, cigarettes or heavier drugs. Then of course addiction can take over and there's a whole new world of mental, emotional and physical pain and suffering. Then the vicious cycle starts again.
Taking it a little further, Wikipedia defines food as 'any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body. It is usually of plant or animal origin and contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins or minerals. The substance is ingested by an organism and assimilated by the organism's cells in an effort to produce energy, maintain life or stimulate growth.'
Our body was meant to replenish itself on fresh foods from the earth, not the artificial colours, flavours, gums, preservatives and additives so commonly found in processed and pre-packaged so-called 'foods' today. Our bodies struggle to digest and benefit from these modern, artificial substances, eventually weakening and giving way to illness and disease.
I've said it before, but I think it's important enough to say twice - image if we only ate the best quality foods and only as much as our bodies needed! Imagine if we actually listened to our bodies. I wonder how much we could reduce addiction, illness and disease? How much would this improve the quality of our lives as well as longevity?
Here are some healthy eating habits we can develop to support our journey to a happier, healthier family.
1. Use the Healthy Eating Planner to create a wholesome, balanced menu for the week.
2. Once the menu is organised, it can be used as the basis for your weekly shopping list. Avoid impulse buying. If it isn't in the house, it won't keep 'winking' at you ;)
3. Eating Healthy on a Budget? No problem! We all want to spend less on the necessities and more on the luxuries, so here's some ideas to help.
4. Need Healthy Eating Lunch Box Ideas? Take your lunch to work. Not only will you know exactly what you're eating, it will save you $$$ and doesn't need to take a lot of effort to prepare. It'll taste better too.
5. Healthy Restaurant and Holiday Eating. No one wants to have to watch what they eat while on holidays or that special occasion, they're all about friends, family and fun. Heres some habits to help that won't get in the way!
6. Here's a challenge for you .... be mindful of your Portion Sizes and remember to only eat until you're no longer hungry - not until you're full!
7. Don't forget to incorporate these healthy eating habits with the Healthy Eating Tips!
Happy Healthy Eating!